Wearing Shoes on the Hands

As we were going out at the weekend Darwin asked if he could wear his shoes on his hands rather than his feet. I instantly dismissed it as being silly and refused to give my permission to his request. He began to cry. Afterwards I felt a small amount of guilt.

I didn’t think about why I wouldn’t let him, I wasn’t thinking about the potential harm he could do to his feet or whether other folk who saw him would think we were cruelly raising a wolf boy, I instantly dismissed it as silly and being non-conforming. But I want him to be somewhat non-conforming and to some extent silly, so really I should have allowed it.

In my day I would never have got away with such a request, it would have been beat out of me, and as a consequence sometimes I find myself rigid in my ways and it occasionally frustrates me. I’m subtly trying to break out of it. I always purposely set my alarm to an odd number (7:11, never 7:00 or 7:10) and I’ve decided to start wearing odd socks. I told you it was subtle, but if I did things all in one go people would think I’m having a break down.


Comments

Popular Posts