David Dunnico - Stockport War Memorial and Art Gallery

I visited the Stockport War Memorial & Art Gallery over the weekend to see another exhibition by David Dunnico.  I like David, he's a wonderful chap and if the there is any truth to the saying "the pen is mightier than the sword", David is like Aramis with his pen.  We're Facebook friends and I always get excited whenever he comments on my posts, no matter how insulting they are!

The exhibition shows 2 of Davids projects, "Momento Mori" & "A Tree made of Real Wood".  The former project looks at how the Victorians symbolised loss, grief and mourning with many images taken in the Pere-Lachaise cemetry in Paris.  I've been to Paris a number of times but have never managed to get into the cemetery, it has opening times (and more frustratingly closing times!) and in the past I have never been the most enthusiastic riser in the mornings.  There are quite a few interesting folk buried there, Marcel Marceau, Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde, Chopin, and loads of people that you will have probably heard their names but never had a clue what they did, Bellini, Bizet, Menier, Monge etc.  David's images reflect the romanticism of the Victorian mourning's in a lovely and sometimes dramatic way, and it seemed quite unusual to see his work photo shopped.

The second project, "A Tree made of real wood" is an observation of urban trees.  He observes that urban trees are often a tool for developers to "hide the concrete" rather than being the free spirited entities they are in the forest.  The images are somewhat reminiscent of his CCTV project, particularly the Gordon Ramsey shot when compared to the CCTV camera in the eye of the baby image.

I have a lot of respect for David, he's a grand artist and photographer, an eloquent gentleman and a funny guy.

On the way out of the gallery I stopped by an interactive exhibition that was encouraging viewers to "Draw anything using a single line starting from the left hand side and ending on the right".  All the drawings would then be put together for viewing.  I obviously joined in.  There were 2 young lads in the same room with foreign accents and when they came across my piece of art they said quite condescendingly, "someone has drawn something inappropriate".  I guess they hadn't learnt the word "anything" yet.  I did cheat slightly though as I took my pen off the paper to draw the hair on the bollocks.

"One Continuous Line Project"

"David Dunnico"







Comments

Popular Posts