Jamiroquai

You can guarantee that if Kerry is playing music in her car she’ll be playing Jamiroquai. She plays it so much that sometimes it becomes tiresome to me. Don’t get me wrong, I like em, and I’ve liked them for a very long time but I’m not quite the fan that Kerry is. During the early 90’s Tripitaka (my band) we were often compared to Jamiroquai by local media and pubs and we even covered some songs by them.

So 20 odd years later (earlier this year) it was announced that they were going on tour and Kerry insisted that we get some tickets.

The first sign that I was getting too old for this malarkey was the £140 it cost me for 2 tickets for a gig! The second sign came in the form of the average age of the audience, that being about 50ish. Jamiroquai have always been a newish band in my head so the lack of any youngsters appeared to be quite shocking for me. Then there was the support act, a man playing records! What’s all that about? And then Jay Kay came to the stage. He’s obviously put some pounds on which shows in his swollen tummy and face and I really liked this. This made everything alright. “I reckon I could body double for him” I told Kerry. He can still move like a mutha flipper and he’s got the skills, and the music was great, he’s an ambassador for us all. Us 50ish folk swelling with middle agedness and yet look what we did, and look what some of us are still doing.

I didn’t think I was going to like it very much, I thought it was going to be too loud and too late but I loved it.








Comments

Popular Posts