The Now

Part of what makes me refer to Atheism as ‘spiritual’ is my appreciation for the ‘Now’. I’ve always had this. I remember saying to Sarah, my sister, when we used to sit on her bed on weekend mornings, “I’m going to miss this time when we’re older. You’ll have a family and your attentions will be fully consumed by them and I’ll be a single chap enjoying my life in other ways”. Obviously I was half wrong, like the time I predicted that House music would be dead within a year, but the sentiment wasn’t a prediction of the future, it was an appreciation of what we had then.

And throughout my life I’ve always had this notion that things are temporary, indeed life itself is temporary and that’s why we should all appreciate the ‘Now’. There’s probably some bloke having his testicles tortured right now as a punishment and he won’t agree with this, but statistically they’ll be some bloke also having his balls tortured for pleasure, probably a priest or a politician, and strangely he may agree!

My moments of appreciation happen all the time, in fact usually on a daily basis, but notable moments have been:

Catching fish in a Saudi Arabian dock on the eve of the first Gulf War.
Smoking pot with my mother at the end of her garden.
Playing with Tripitaka at a number of gigs, in particularly Edgehill College’s Christmas ball.
The drive home the day I left the army.
The ‘Bus Stop’ night club, Preston, every Friday night in 95.
Reading Rock Festival 90.
Every minute with Mau Mau.
‘Lads night’ virtually every Friday throughout the noughties.
Thailand with Bunster.
The birth of Darwin.

And many, many more…

Soon we’re hoping to be moving away from Rossendale but I will miss walking up the hill to our house with Darwin, despite having to dodge the increasing amounts of dog shit. As we were doing so on Sunday I felt quite contemplative as we held hands and slowly meandered up the hill. I’m pretty sure he’ll be refusing to hold my hand before too long.

"Piggy & Me in the sun on the hill"

Comments

Popular Posts