Mick "The Nuclear Power" Baeron

I went to the pub on Saturday to say farewell to Rik. We met at the Eagle and Child in Leyland, the nearest thing to a ‘Local’ that I’ve ever had. When we were kids it was full of Goths, Punks and Bikers, the people who refused to conform and I liked that. Sure they all had jobs and paid their taxes and mostly remained obedient to the law, but that aside they weren’t out to conform! So what a great place to meet up. All the non-conformists back together again! 

As it happens hardly anyone turned up. Most people had dinner’s parties, weddings and christenings to go to, some were at the theatre and some were holidaying in the Algarve. I think we’ve all become lower middle class wannabe’s but that’s life I suppose! 

Anyway, those who were there enjoyed themselves. We reminisced, told anecdotes and took the piss out of one another and towards the end of the night we played darts. Rik used to have a dartboard at the foot of his stairs and we used to play for hours after Bullseye. I always wanted a set of tungsten darts but they were out of my league so I had to make do with big bulky brass ones, I don’t think it mattered in the end though, I could still hold my own. But I hadn’t played darts since then. Rik and I started and I beat him convincingly finishing on a double 10. Al stepped up to challenge and he was beaten whilst he was in treble figures and I launched an arrow into double top. And then I wiped the floor with Brett. I was on fire! I was also the only one who hadn’t had a drink that night but I’ll over-look that! 

I miss Rik!






Comments

Popular Posts