Old Folks Homes

We went to see Piggy’s Great Grandma this weekend who currently resides in a care home for old folk.

I’m not a massive fan of old folks homes. And I’m not going to use the clichéd remark about them smelling of piss (but I must admit, if you could have bottled the smell and gave it to an expert wine taster I bet they would comment that the odour did have a flavour of it!) because it smelled more like aging fruit However I will remark that it does have a feel of Gods waiting room. 

You get a small on-suite bedroom with a single bed, a small TV and a chair. Actually I wouldn’t be asking for much more, probably a double bed, a big TV and an X-Box with Call of Duty. And as long as I could drink a moderate amount of whisky I think I’d be happy in my old age. But one thing I would insist on is silence. There is way too much nasty noise coming from within these places, screams, grunts, doors slamming and phones ringing in echoey corridors, it would do my head in. 

Outside I thought someone had done a dump in some red netting (the type you stick nuts in for blue tits!) and hung it up, it was covered in insects. I chose to ignore it but Fern pointed out that she thought it was old banana, I think she did a taste test! But it made sense as there were pears stuck onto the fence and discarded apples knocking about. Fruit bats would love it there. 

There was some graffiti sprayed onto the wall, “Craig & Dave”. If it was done by residents of the home I’d be impressed, if it was youths, that saddens me. 

Piggy enjoyed himself and Freda enjoyed seeing Piggy. In fact she encouraged him to eat more fruit than he ever has in one sitting. Maybe it should double up as a fruit re-hab centre for kids as well?

"Nanny, Pete & Piggy"

"Fern, Piggy & Nanny"

"Piggy and Nanny"

Comments

Popular Posts