Thrutch Tunnel

Another photographer I've had a little look at is Joel Sternfeld www.luhringaugustine.com/artists/joel-sternfeld/.  He did a project entitled "Walking the High Line" where he took images along a disused railway in NYC.

In 1848 the railway from Rawtenstall to Waterfoot opened and was subsequently closed and demolished just over a hundred years later during the Beeching Cuts.  Inevitably there are still signs of the railways existence so I decided to take a day off to walk along it.  Unfortunately the only day I could have off this week happened to be the darkest and wettest day for a while.  I can deal with the dark but when the camera began to do strange things in the wet I packed up.

A colleague at work once made some chocolate fudge cake and decided to leave a piece on my desk.  It was presented on a piece of tissue and looked like it had been expertly dropped on it from about 30 feet, being quite a soggy cake it didn't look like the most desirable thing.  Another colleague warned me before I got to my desk, "I think someone's thrutched on your desk", they said.  That was the first time I had come across the word.  The urban dictionary gives this meaning for the word, "The name given to the "pressure" applied to the internal muscles required to push out a turd".

I began photographing in "Thrutch Tunnel", how I giggled!


"Inside Thrutch Tunnel"

"At the Entrance to Thrutch Tunnel"

Comments

  1. Hi.. That's Newchurch No2 Tunnel.. One of the original pair (Newchurch No1 is bricked up behind the camera) bored in 1851.
    Thrutch Tunnel is hidden in the hillside about 30 feet to the right.. It was built in 1880 when the track was doubled and runs the whole length of Newchurch 1 + 2 in a gentle curve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS.. Re:The name.. Thrutch Gorge was originally very narrow and much higher at the top end, where the River Irwell squeezed or thrutched through the narrow gap.
    The turnpike road was blasted through in 1820, massively widening the gorge and draining the lower end of Stacksteads, followed by more alterations for the railway in '51, so the reason for the name isn't very apparant today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info Boo. "squeezed or thrutched through the narrow gap" is my sentence of the day, well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts