Went Shooting

When I was 14 I knew that legally, if my parents permitted it, I was allowed to own an air rifle.  So I saved up £45 (nine weeks work doing my paper round!) and bought myself a .22 calibre ASI Sniper rifle.  I loved it, and even if I say so myself, was a crack shot.

However, the relationship between my rifle and I was short lived.  After about a month of having the rifle I was in David Mcmahon's bedroom looking out of his window.  There was a man marking out a football pitch in the school to the rear of the house and he was moving particularly slow with his machinery.  "Watch this", I said to David, "I'm going to shoot the marking out machine and really shit him up."  David replied, "No, it's my bedroom, I want to take the shot."  He was slightly older than me and it was his bedroom I suppose, so I handed him the rifle.  Needless to say I was slightly apprehensive, he didn't own a rifle and to be honest he was a bit of a shit shot, but it was his bedroom.  He moved the curtains to the side and lifted the rifle to shoot.  The only pellets I had that day were pointed one, the ones that if they were to hit flesh would penetrate a bit.  I looked on through the net curtains.

There was no way he could miss, the guy was moving slower than a sloth, it was only about 30m away and the marking out machine was massive.  He pressed the trigger.  The guys head slumped forward and he immediately grasped his neck with his hands before he began screaming.  David and I looked at each other terrified and both dropped to the floor.  We, in fact fuck "We", "He" (it was his bedroom!) had just shot someone.  The man stopped screaming shortly afterwards so we quickly glanced through the window.  We wondered whether he was dead.  We quickly realised he wasn't dead, just very angry and fully knowledgeable about what had happened to him and where the shot had come from, and our 2 heads with worried expressions looking at him through the window confirmed his assumptions.

The police came around within the next 30 minutes.  They ascertained who the shooter was and most annoyingly, confiscated the rifle!  I was furious and most annoyed.  How could he have missed?

Over the following years I went on to shoot some beautiful weapons in the Army.  The L1A1 (FAL) SLR was my standard issued weapon but I also got to shoot the 7.62mm Bren Gun quite often, and both I can quite confidently say I was a pretty good shot with.

This weekend Pete and I went to the rough grounds at the back of my house to shoot his Air Arms rifle.  He had made up some white board with a single black mark on them as targets and positioned them approximately 30m away.  Usually I like to fire off 5 or so rounds so I can zero the sights, so in the sitting position I took my first shot.  I hadn't got a clue where the first round went and concluded that it had probably hit the tree somewhere.  Ultimately it doesn't matter where the first rounds go as long as they are grouped, but you do need to know where they are grouping, and if they aren't hitting the target at all then this is an issue.  I dropped the rifle to see if I could see where the round hit and to my surprise it had actually gone through the black dot!

I've had a look on Monster Jobs to see if there are any sniper jobs.  There aren't any at the moment but I'll keep my eyes open.

"Pete & Rifle"

"The First Shot"


Comments

Popular Posts