Dodgers - Lewis Carroll

Whilst sat next to Ste Sutton in Maths one day he whispered in my ear;

"Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!""

I initially thought "What the fuck are you on about?" but was secretly impressed that he could recount such jibberish.  He didn't know that the poem was written by Lewis Carroll, he had got it from the Terry Gilliam film "Jabberwocky" (He had cool older brothers you see who were into the likes of Monty Python whilst most of us were still being impressed by the likes of Basil Brush and Christopher Lillicrap).  But here is where my fascination of Lewis Carroll began.

I went on to read;

"Twinkle, twinkle little bat How I wonder what you're at! Up above the world you fly, Like a tea-tray in the sky."

and quotes like:

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there."

"You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)"

I liked how he played with words and how he had such a light-hearted beautiful view of the world, despite being a God botherer.

Later on I found out he was also a keen photographer at a time when photography was in it's infancy.  There are roughly about a 1000 photographs left in circulation and most of them are of little girls, sometimes in a naked or semi-naked state.  It makes me feel uncomfortable, very uncomfortable, a bit like owning a Gary Glitter album or something.  Am I being ignorant and presumptuous?

"Lewis Carroll"

"Alice Liddell"

"Little Girls"


Comments

Popular Posts