Rugby Mill

Just an update.  The demolition of the Mill continues.  Blocks from the building occasionally fall and rattle the building I'm in and men stand around the site chipping mortar off bricks, I think to sell on to reclamation yards.  Unless these men are from a Gulag I doubt they're having such a wonderful time.  But the Mill gets less and less and I'm spotting birds with no homes to go to.

I edited my last post about the Mill "Factory Geek" due to a request from a man I had met that day so there were some things I didn't tell you.  The tallest bit of the building is being destroyed using pit props.  That is, a hole is made in the supporting structure of the tower and replaced with a wooden prop, and this is repeated.  A fire is then constructed at the foot of the structure and the wooden props are then burnt away causing the structure to tumble.  It's very Fred Dibnah.

With all these bricks around it reminds me of an afternoon I once spent in Gloucester throwing bricks at Policemen.  That was a stress relieving day.  I don't condone the action of calling Policemen "Pigs" and throwing bricks at them but there is something quite therapeutic about it.  I must add that I was on a Police Riot Training exercise employed purposely to do this by the Army.

"Rugby Mill"



Comments

Popular Posts