Schrodingers Cat (Cougar)

The whole Quantum Physics world is a little too complicated for my tiny mind but I do like the idea of sticking a cat in a box with a potentially lethal device in order to provide a scientific paradox.

I was introduced to Scrodingers Cat whilst looking at Duane Michals work.  I then googled the thought experiment and really couldn't get beyond the whole sticking a cat in a box thing.  I don't think I understand superposition, and to be honest I don't think I want to.

I wonder why he chose a cat though?  Is it because cats are considered slightly disposable?  You don't have to report killing a cat but you do have to report killing a dog.  Which seems slightly wrong.  The worlds smallest dog is about 5 cm tall, you wouldn't have a clue if you had run it over or not and yet the worlds heaviest domestic cat is about 18kg, hitting that would nearly write your car off!

I've just been looking up whether you have to report killing a cougar (a mountain lion, not a sexy mom!).  In Iowa I don't think you do.  They can weigh up to 160lbs and if you get attacked by one you must fight back vigorously using sharp objects, and never run!

If Schrodinger had used a cougar in his paradox you'd know whether it was alive or dead.  If it was alive it would be kicking shit out of the box, but it would also probably kick the shit out of the volatile potentially lethal device too and kill itself.

O, and it's Schrodinger's birthday today.

"Mde Schrodingers Cat"



Comments

Popular Posts