Ed Watts & the ACC

For me personally, no one currently does as much for Contemporary Photographic Art in Manchester as Ed Watts does.  Ed works at the Whitworth Art Gallery and runs the Alternative Camera Club, for Free!  And prior to this he held a post at the Urbis.  If it wasn't for Ed, and Mark Page as one of Ed's guest speakers, this blog may not have started.

It was the last ACC for some time this weekend due to the Whitworth being refurbished.  As usual there were a number of new faces and a few newbies to "Photographic Art".  Ed was simply doing a retrospective of "Best Bits" from over the years and I smiled when I heard comments like, "That's not photography, it's rubbish".  I can easily empathise with comments like that and many times I feel the same, but the ACC isn't about photography like you find in Amateur Photography, it isn't about a boat moored on a shore in HDR, or of a misty landscape, or multi coloured beach huts by the shore or a fancy lass in sexy undies, and that's why I like it.

Ed is also a photographic artist himself and you can find more info about his work here:

http://edwattsphoto.com
http://edwattsphoto.tumblr.com




Comments

Popular Posts