Looking for a Head....Jutting Out

During my second week off we all spent time together doing things. We thought it would be a good idea if we tried to do things and go places that we’d never been to before.

So on the first day we took a trip up to the Osprey Viewing Place on the shores of Bassenthwaite. I wasn’t expecting to see an osprey but how wrong I was! There it was flying above the lake looking for fish to eat. The RSPB were there with Swarovski spotting scopes and binoculars (they’re doing alright for donations aren’t they?) and conducting people on where to look. I got talking to one of the staff after he came to me and announced that there was a red squirrel feeding quite close to us. “Are we allowed to shoot it?” I enquired. He looked like he was about to be sick.

Anyway we chatted further and he told me all about red and grey squirrels. What a fantastic chap and an exemplary ambassador for the RSPB.

Afterwards we took a trip around Mirehouse and had a walk to the shores of Bassenthwaite. Our last trip to Bassenthwaite had left a bitter taste in my mouth as the shore was full of rubbish and dog crap, however this time is was massively different. The eastside was absolutely beautiful. The lake was transparent and the views magnificent. We sat on a small pier, Darwin and I dipping our feet in the lake and Kerry and Darwin watched the fish.

To make the most of the day we then drove out to St Bees. Kerry had seen a few photos of it and was intrigued, I had once set out to go fishing there but didn’t make it.

In the days before satnavs we had to rely on signs and maps and that. Gaz Gal had said that the fishing at St Bees was great, you could get Sea Salmon and all sorts, so we set off on an adventure. I smoked a lot of pot at the time and on the way up there we stopped off at a shop for fags and chocolate, and also to ask the way to St Bees. Gaz had told me that the best place to fish was at St Bees Head, an area that protrudes out to sea. Whilst paying for my goods what I had meant to say was, “Could you tell us where St Bees is please?” What I actually said was, “We’re looking for a head” ...pause… “Jutting out”. Realising at the same time that what I had said was absolute nonsense Gaz and I looked at each other and burst out laughing so much that he was on the floor and I was crying. The guy looked very frightened. We went to Whitehaven instead on that day.

But today we made it and what a lovely deserted beach it was too. Like all Cumbrian coastal towns, the inhabited bits are a bit weird, but the beach is beautiful.






Comments

Popular Posts