The Torchlight Festival


We went to the Kendal Torchlight festival and I thought it was magnificent.  The streets were lined with thousands of people and the procession lasted about an hour.  What a beautiful sense of community I got.  Kerry made me buy a spinny lighty uppy thing off a man for Darwin, let me tell you, that man isn’t going to be needing to work for the remainder of the year!

It reminded me of Leyland Festival in the early 80’s.  The procession used to last for hours with hundreds of trucks being occupied by thousands of people.  When I last visited the festival there were about 6 trucks, and I saw it as a sad reflection of what had happened to the town.

Anyway, the torchlight in Kendal was great.  Sure, Shrek looked like a rapist, and there were 3 Shrek trucks, like it’s just become all the rage in Kendal, and fathers are reluctant to let their daughters out in the evening fearing that they'll get fingered by a fairground gypsy, but I loved it all and I hope it remains for a long time to come.






Comments

Popular Posts