The Beatles

As I was driving home the other day listening to Radio 2 'Here, There and Everywhere' by the Beatles began to play.  My right ear popped slightly and I regained about 50% of my hearing back, the music sounded wonderful.  I have a love/hate relationship with Radio 2, well not so much ‘love’, I tolerate it over other stations, I can’t stand some things about it.  I listen to Simon Mayo on the way home and he does a feature called ‘Drivetime Confessions’.  The confessions have to be toned down somewhat, it’s like listening to a jovial priest confess, but it isn't that which annoys me so.  The thing that drives me fucking insane is the responses to these confessions.  “I laughed so much I had to pull over on the motorway” is a response that is given virtually every night.  If you've laughed that much at that shit and thought it necessary to write in about I reckon half of his listeners are off their heads on ecstasy or summat.  Where was I?  O yeah yeah yeah, the Beatles!

The Beatles played a significant part of my life, between 86 & 88 I don’t think I listened to anything other than the Beatles.  I used to fall asleep listening to them and knew all the words to every song they did, I’d read books about them and John Lennon and I even styled myself youthful self on them, 20 years after they were fashionable!  It looked like I used to cut my own hair!

I’m currently re-appreciating my hearing and as I write and I’m listening to what I think is the best Beatles album, The Best of the Beatles Vol 1, no of course not, ‘Revolver’.  And that album contains the best Beatles song, ‘And your bird can sing’, which some claim was in response to Mick Jagger boasting about his singing girlfriend Marianne Faithful.  The line describing how she also ate Mars Bars in the most remarkable way was edited out of the song by George Martin.  But, the album also contains the worst song by the Beatles ever, Yellow Submarine.


Any road, being able to hear is mostly good.

"London in the Swinging, erm, 80's"

Comments

Popular Posts