John Glover

When I left the army I found myself unemployed.  I was actively seeking work in a frenzied manner and was getting quite desperate, some weeks I would apply for up to 50 jobs and in those days you had to write a hand written covering letter and enclose a printed CV, AND pay 2nd class postage (50 2nd class stamps cost £9 back then).  And I would apply for any job.

During that time I had interviews for a role as an architect (based on the fact that I liked Technical Drawing at school.  I didn’t get the job), a pizza factory managers job (based on the fact that I like pizza.  I didn’t get the job), a financial consultant (I did like money!  I didn’t get the job) and I was turned down by many more before even given the opportunity of an interview.  Some of these instant refusals included being a mercenary in Africa, mine clearing in the Far East, body guard and aircraft engineer. 

One job advert was for a Buyer at a construction firm in Preston.  Amongst all the other jargon was the sentence “would desirably have knowledge of Dynamic Compaction”.  I knew about Dynamic Compaction and I didn’t know anyone else in civilian life who knew about it.  OK, I didn’t know anything else about the job but I thought this was enough to go with.   It didn’t stop me being surprised though when I got an interview though.

I was called in to meet with John Glover, a large Brian Blessed-esque man with a loud laugh, kind eyes and a very powerful presence.  He confessed at the interview that the only reason he wanted to see me was because he liked my hand writing.  I regaled him (for about a minute) with stories about my experiences with Dynamic Compaction and its role in within quick Airfield Damage Repair scenarios, but then I had exhausted all my avenues.  We talked more but it was general chitter chatter with lots of laughing and even though I came away from the interview feeling happy I didn’t think this would lead to an opportunity.

Several weeks later I had completely run out of money, had become homeless and was out of luck, but the following day John offered me the Buyer job.  John was my boss who became my friend.  He and his wife Janice were like the parents I never had.  After I computerised (Jesus, that’s an old word now init?) the buying job John got me to do more computery things, and the more I automated things the more time I had on my hands.  I became more of a bat man (in the military sense, not like the gothic superhero!).  Sometimes I would chauffeur him in the Bentley, run errands, meet him for lunch in some of the finest restaurants in Lancashire, go to his massive house and get pissed and every now and then fix a computer.  I left after 8 years and I will always remember my time at Vibro very fondly.

I met John 5 years later at Janice’s funeral; it was painful to see him cry.  And since then I hadn’t heard anything about him, he had slipped into myth and become the crazy eccentric flamboyant boss I used to have in the olden days.  Then just before Christmas I made contact with him through an old mutual friend, and he was living near to where we were staying in Dorset.

We visited John and his new wife at his home.  I was slightly apprehensive beforehand, people change don’t they?  And I didn’t want to see anyone other than the old John Glover.  As soon as I saw him I knew he hadn’t changed.  He has magic in his eyes and an infectious laugh and is still the character he used to be.  When we used to get pissed at his house in the olden days I noticed quite impressive water colours on his wall signed ‘Glover’, I presumed he had a relative who was an artist.  When he told me they were his I suggested that he really ought to do more of this kind of thing.  He was always working and very rarely did anything other than work.  I found it most comforting to see that John now occupies the majority of his spare time painting, and painting well too.  He gave me one of his paintings of Charmouth.


We reminisced and laughed again.  I love that man and have so much to thank him for.

"Charmouth"

"Johns 'Charmouth'"

"John Glover"

Comments

Popular Posts