Jewchester

I have a project under way at the moment with a working title of "Jewchester".  In summary I'm photographing Jewish people in the Jewish quarter of Manchester near and around Cheetham Hill, and I'm purposely doing it from inside a moving car.

The images are consequently blurred and I like that.

So why?  I'm certainly not afraid to ask people whether they mind me taking their photo, or even afraid of ramming my camera in someones face without permission and moving on, but part of me does feel uncomfortable about doing it to one of the Jewish community, and I'm not entirely sure why.  Is it because they're a bit of a mystery to me?  Is it because I sense that they're private?  Do I feel some kind of sympathy towards them knowing that they're one of the most persecuted people in history?

I'm slightly concerned that "Jewchester" may be a racist name, is it?  And even using the word "Jew" makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.  However, I've started to read up on things today so over the project I'm sure I'll become more educated about the Jewish folk.  I may have to speak with an authority figure in the area.

Any road, here's a sample of the images so far.





Comments

Popular Posts