Pollock & Sobel

Like many young men of my age who didn't study art in academia, I was introduced to Jackson Pollock by the Stone Roses.  Initially I thought it was a load of tosh and then when I saw one in real life I loved it.  Art is a personal thing isn't it?

In the 50's he was labelled as the greatest living artist, but people got excited and giddy and didn't really understand what they're saying.  He wasn't the greatest living artist because there is no such thing as the "greatest artist", it's personal to you.  Frankly I don't think Pollock was any better than Sobel and Sobel was there before Pollock.  Sobel didn't get the Stone Roses gig tho and she wasn't as moody or drunk and therefore not as enigmatic as Pollock.

Anyway, Pollock wins and why are we talking about him, well because Piggy is using him as an influence for many of his works at the moment.

Pollocks or Sobels, you decide.









Comments

Popular Posts