Footy

I haven’t mentioned football very much in this blog and that surprises me, I think it’s because I rarely take my camera onto the football pitch.

I can’t say I’m one of these mental fans that lives and breathes football but I do love to play.  And that came late in life for me.  At school I didn’t play much, in fact I didn’t like physical exercise at all.  I opted to do Drama instead of PE, and OK I did love acting but knowing that I could do it instead of PE made it doubly attractive.  Many of my friends were good footballers but I never was.  In junior school Stephen Sutton was the best player and he got to pick the team.  He made me the manager.

After the Army I started playing football quite regularly, Thursdays and twice on Sundays.  I remember being on the summit of Mount Snowdon in my late 20’s and sprinting down so I could get back in time for 2 hours of football.  And I’m not a brilliant player, my love for playing far exceeds my talent.

Last night I played for the first time in 2 years.  It feels like at some point during the game I was hypnotised and beaten brutally with baseball bats.  But right from the off set, as soon as I was passed the ball it made me buzz.  I’m a good free kick taker and can position the ball well, that bit hasn’t left me, but all this running around business, Jesus!


Here’s a pic from several years ago after we had won summat.

"Dr Teeth" (That was the name of the team!)

Comments

Popular Posts