It's Grim Up North

So after a week of chocolate box villages with thatched roof's, village greens that double as cricket pitches and everything that embodies England, particularly in the simple minds of Americans, I returned to the north.  Initially I felt like a Hobbit in Mordor!  It was probably because I had had a week in the scorching sun too with temperatures of 23 degrees and then returned to lots of rain and thick cloud and temperatures more like 15.  For a day or two things did feel glum.

But I soon acclimatised.  Factories, cobbled streets, clean washing hung to dry.  Men in flat caps, kids walking a whippet, the local shop owner smoking a fag.  Someone pronouncing 'Wasp' like 'Rasp', a man waiting for the Bookies to open and endless terraced houses, all these things I saw during my first day of returning to the north and it made me smile.

I think I'm an Orc disguised as a Hobbit!

"Thelwall Viaduct"

"Rawtenstall"

"Man at the Bookies"

Comments

Popular Posts