Dennis Morris

16.06.12

I whizzed down to the Whitworth again this Saturday for the return of the Alternative Camera Club.  The guest speaker was Dennis Morris, a photographer who I thought I was unfamiliar with.  As it works out I have seen quite a few of his images before.

Dennis has quite a magical story.  Taken under the wing of Bob Marley as a young teenager quite by chance he gained a unique photographic insight into Marley that lead to other opportunities later on in life.  He went on to become art director at Island Records and formed a number of bands.  He was asked on the day, "Why do you not play in bands any more?", and coincidentally he gave the same answer that I did the night before to Tripitaka!

"My portrait of Dennis in front of his most iconic image"

"John Lydon by Dennis"

"Growing Up Black, Dennis Morris"

Comments

  1. What was it? (the answer?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That music was an extension of his art, and his art was always photography.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts