The Ammonite

09.06.12

We were setting off back up north today but before we did we took another trip down to the Jurassic beach.  This time we started at Charmouth and walked towards Lyme Regis.  The tide had just gone out and there was a strong summer breeze blowing whilst pebbles were being thrown about noisily by the waves.  Kerry and I set about searching for fossils again, her a little more vigorously than I.  Occasionally I would stop and sit, appreciating my existence and good fortune.

Lost in my own thoughts I looked back to see where Kerry was.  She had been in the same place for a while now and this time when we made eye contact she summoned me rather excitedly.  "O ... MY ... GOD!" she said as I approached.  "Have you found a claw clutching a golden egg?", I asked.  "Shhhhh", she abruptly instructed.

I looked down and she had uncovered a deep ammonite of about 2" in depth and about 8" across.  I hadn't seen her this excited in a long time and it made me happy seeing her so happy.  I assisted her to uncover the remainder of the fossil.  I imagine this might be the start of a new hobby for her!.





Comments

Popular Posts