Wastwater

30 years ago I remember sitting in front of my Mother’s record player listening to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band on the headphones whilst browsing through a book about the Lake District. I came across a photo of Wastwater taken from the southern end of the lake and I thought it looked the most enchanting place that I had ever seen. I vowed to go and see it at the earliest opportunity.

I had to wait until I got my first car to visit the place. I had a small Volvo 340 which I loved, it used to overheat occasionally but it was as silent as a mouse inside when travelling. One thing I wasn’t aware of about Wastwater is that to get there through the Lakes you have to take a Fellowship of the Rings-esque journey over some of the steepest roads in the country. It’s spectacular. The first time I tried it my hand brake snapped on the first hill, but I didn’t let that deter me. I traversed over the lesser Wrynose Pass and when confronted with the mighty Hardknott Pass my car failed to get up the first incline. It took 5 attempts with the final one resulting in me taking a quarter of a mile run up and hitting the incline at about 40 mph.

But all the effort was worth it. No photo does the place justice. To stand at the southern end of Wastwater is to stand at the most beautiful place in England. The deepest lake besides the highest mountain in the country. The view of Pillar, Great Gable and the Scafell screes is one to behold.

Anyway, it had been a while since my last visit, in fact it must have been just a couple of months prior to starting this blog, but I had a day to myself and I had decided Wastwater would be how I spent it. And what a remarkable spiritual day it was too. Plenty of wheel spins on the passes, glorious sunshine all day and a meal for one at the Wasdale Inn. Super!
"Southern Shores of Wastwater"

"Scafell Screes"

"Top of Hardknott"

"The Wasdale Inn"

"360 view between Hardknott & Wrynose"


"Snowing at Wasdale Head"

Comments

Popular Posts