That was My Favourite Dress

In 1990 I attended my first festival, Reading. I was still in the Army at the time so it felt quite subversive, particularly as I had civilian long haired friends who smoked pot and listened to music that wasn’t in the charts. Indie was all the rage for the non-conformist and Reading was the festival for Indie.

I have very fond memories of seeing Half Man Half Biscuit, Ride, The Buzzcocks and The Inspiral Carpets, but for me the outstanding act had to be The Wedding Present, what an absolute delight. To mark the occasion I bought a ‘Brassneck’ T-Shirt. These were exciting days, within a year I would be a civilian myself with mid length hair and totally free.

I kept the T-Shirt and wore it lots. It was the equivalent of having a tear tattoo or wearing some cryptic gang insignia, most people hadn’t a clue what it meant but occasionally someone would say, “Hey do you like the Wedding Present, I do too” and some kind of bond would be formed.

I last wore the T-Shirt in about 2006. I could just about get away with it then, albeit looking like the start of a boob tube, but I wore it to a Wedding Present gig and Dave Gedge signed it. If I was to wear it now it would look more like a sports bra and due to age it’s only a few months away from crumbling, so I took the decision to throw it away in a Christmas clear out.

It does deserve a blog post of its own though. Farewell my friend.
"The T-Shirt"


Comments

Popular Posts