You've Got.... Asians

The first house I bought was in Haslingden.  It was quite a large end terrace that used to be a bakers years ago and when I knocked the chimney breast out to make way for a range oven you could still smell bread.  The first man who came to say ‘hello’ was Mutha, a friendly elderly man from across the road.

Once we had moved in the ex-girlfriend’s parents came around to visit.  I was with the mother in the bedroom looking out of the window.  Across the street Mutha exited his house, saw me in the window, waved and then got in his car.  I looked at her mother, her mouth was wide open and she looked confused.  She pointed for a while and then said, “you’ve got ....”, I now looked puzzled and shrugged my shoulders waiting for the last bit of the sentence.  “Asians”, she concluded.  She was from Garstang, and a quiet part at that, the scope of diversity in Garstang was much less than it is in Haslingden.  “We had one of them in Garstang once”, she said.  I didn’t dare ask what happened to him or her.


Any road, in summary it’s a hole, but it’s amazing what a sunset or a rainbow can do to a hole.

"B&W Rainbow"

"ACE Rainbow"

"Haslingden"

Comments

Popular Posts