Wonking Deaf Ricky Off Onto A Balloon

I was watching Piggy through the rear view mirror in the car. He was strapped into his car seat and immediately saw that I was looking at him, this caused him to smile. I started to pull a number of comic faces all of which were replicated by Mr Pig and then he began to free style. He scrunched his face up like an old man and repeatedly began saying, “what?”, “what?”. . . I began to laugh and then thought, ‘hold on a minute, if he’s simply copying me what if he sees me like that and I just don’t know that I do that!’. But fortunately I know it’s not that. He does do playful faces and comedy emotions and he’s doing it quite regularly now.

Radio 2 has been running a feature over the past year asking folk to write essays about ‘What makes us human’, and today’s essay was all about laughter. There is no ‘one thing’ that separates us from the other species, it’s a collection of things, and not all of them are nice, but laughter is nice and one of the defining factor of human beings. Other animals laugh, this has been documented in the studies of captive chimpanzees and witnessed in such activities as play, wrestling, chasing & tickling.

It’s our variety in ways to make each other laugh that makes us different and it appears we laugh at virtually anything. I make myself laugh sometimes with just the things I’m thinking about. This morning during a conversation with a woman I thought to myself, ‘I wonder what you would do if you broke wind so violently that it was obvious to both of us that you had pooed your pants, would you cover it up or be unashamedly honest?’. I had to restrain my laugh and disguised it as a smile. But even a small bit of graffiti does it for me, “Pudding is gay”, graffiti written outside a pub in Bacup, I liked that very much. The time a woman with an electronic voice box asked me and David McMahon in Leyland library, “Can you shut up? I can hear you little fuckers from Preston”, had us both fighting for breathe laughing. Wanking Deaf Ricky off onto a helium balloon, that didn’t happen but Fat Dan and I talked about it. Keith Jones pinching my rock, the “One. Two. Three, three, three” incident in Shaun’s bedroom, David McMahon burning his face with a firework, David Cant and I wearing tyres on our head as a punishment, throwing tea into an old lady’s face (it didn’t hurt her!), playing Fire Scrabble and trying to record the lyrics of ‘Blue Moon’, these are all extremely funny memories of mine.

I hope Piggy has the ability to make people laugh, and the desire to laugh at anything, it’s a beautiful thing.


"Piggy Wonka"

"Window Pig"

Comments

Popular Posts