Hard(raw) Cheese

We went into Yorkshire today. England’s highest single drop waterfall, Hardraw Force, happens to only be just down the road for us, don’t confuse this with England’s highest (cascade) waterfall above ground, that’s literally round the corner from us, so we thought we would go and see it. Our visit also happened to coincide with the Hardraw Brass Competition. Now I quite like a brass band but it was raining and cold and Kerry hates brass bands, and I don’t think Darwin would have been too keen either, so I made the suggestion of getting a sausage butty and a brew, quickly viewing the waterfall and then we’d be off.

You have to get tickets to view the waterfall which we didn’t mind. I said to the woman at the ticket stand and café, “3 tickets to the waterfall please”. “The waterfall is closed today” was the reply. I pondered and thought that was annoying, however we were cold and hungry so I thought I would order some food. “OK, I’ll order some food”. “We’re not serving food today” was the reply, “you’ll have to go through the gates to get food”. “OK?” I slowly questioned. “£25 please” she said calmly as anything. “O, right. So I have to pay £25 to see what, and if you have anything to eat do I?”. “Yes” was the binary answer.

So we set off to the Wensleydale cheese factory in Hawes instead. It was rammed. A coach load of German tourists had just arrived and the car park was full. We wandered about the shop and I suggested that I go and see if we could do a factory tour. As I fought my way out of the shop a group of people were blocking the door with one large German at the front of the crowd. In front of the door he was making all sorts of gesticulations, dares I say like an enthusiastic Hitler (only because he is a famous gesticulator, not a German!) and I watched him do this for about 15 seconds. He obviously thought it was an automatic door. After my patience wore out I stepped in front of him and pushed the door open. I smiled as I walked away.

We wrote the day off, bought some cheese and went home to watch a film with the fire lit.



Comments

Popular Posts