Feeding Plastic Bags to Turtles

I was in one of those non-premium supermarkets last week with all the other working class folk. I still don’t like bumping into people I know when I’m in them however the produce isn’t that bad nowadays, or are my standards slipping? That happens when you get old doesn’t it? That’s why old biddies buy bargain stuff from those little adverts at the back of the tabloids, corduroy stuff, mega slippers and plates with spitfires on them.

Anyway, I did bump into someone. I couldn’t tell whether it was their wife or their mother they were with (that’s a bad sign isn’t it? But something not surprising for this kind of establishment!) and they were talking to me about how brilliant it is and how they buy literally everything from this place. (I’m dissing it but Pete got an absolute amazing deal on 2 log splitters, and I do mean amazing!!!). Luckily Kerry rang and interrupted our conversation.

And what’s with the checkouts? Why can’t I bag my shopping at the till? Instead they want you to pack it afterwards, and not in a darkened room or anything where no-one can see you, but directly in the shop window where everyone can see you. There are even people driving past in their cars going to Morrisons who can see you, looking at you pitifully. I’m surprised I didn’t get any spare change thrown at me. And if this is the case I don’t think the till person should be allowed to talk to you.

My till person did talk to me. I hadn’t brought any bags with me so I had to buy some disposable ones. As if I wasn’t suffering enough shame as it was! The judgemental young man took the higher ground. “What will you do with those bags when you get home? Put them in the cupboard with all the others?”. “No”, I replied “A friend of ours has a turtle farm and we go down and feed them to the turtles. They go mad for them”. We didn’t make small talk after that.

Comments

Popular Posts