WTF is a Lamb?

Darwin and I were given charge of a Lamb a few weekends ago whilst our neighbours went away for the weekend. “You know where the formula is don’t you?” he said. Unbeknown to him, when Kerry first looked after the lambs I nearly filled the milk bottle with Vanish stain remover rather than powdered milk! “You’ll know which lamb it is, as soon as you walk into the field, it’ll come running to you”.

Well the first time I walked into the field a big fat sheep came over and got me doubting what a lamb actually is. For info, it’s a sheep under 1 year old. But I didn’t believe this was the lamb in question, it looked like it was over 40! I then walked into our field and immediately a black lamb came running over and nearly raped Darwin who was holding the milk.

Darwin played with the lamb and then we made our way back home. As we neared the gate I could hear some muffled bleating. It took me a few minutes to locate the bleats but I eventually spotted a fat lamb, maybe a hogget (a sheep under 24 months) struggling on the other side of the fence in brambles and on a slope. I climbed over the fence but scared the sheep into making a retreat. My towny instinct was to think ‘OMG, what do I do here? I don’t want to scare the sheep, maybe I should call the fire brigade….’, and then my newly found country instinct kicked in. I simply cornered the sheep, not even considering about its emotional welfare, and grabbed it firmly. I held it firmly to my chest, climbed the slope and deposited it on the other side of the fence. I’ve never felt as farmery in my life.

Darwin hugged me afterwards and told me he was proud of me.




Comments

Popular Posts