Turkey Burgers Don't Look Like Turkeys

"You never say anything nice about me in your blog”, said the wife the other night, and she’s probably right. That isn’t because I don’t have anything nice to say about her it’s just that the words I write down here are similar to a conversation I would have with a mate. And quite frankly, us men, and most women come to think of it, don’t talk to each other about the finer qualities of their partners. That’s all a bit gay isn’t it, and I’m including the few gay people I know too. We much prefer to tell tales about how much they do our heads in or the stupid things they say/do.

Anyway, she does do my head in from time to time (first line of my vows!) and she has done for some time, but I knew all this before I married her and I still went ahead with the marriage anyway.

So at the risk of being gay, why?

From the moment we first ‘got together’ (I’ve put that in quotes because we all know it means ‘shagged her’, but being the English types we are it would be far too crass to use that grammar) she excited me, and she still does. I think she’s beautiful, sexy and kind, she’s un-intentionally funny, we sometimes have tears in our eyes when we talk because of the emotion behind it and she cares. We have similar outlooks on life and vastly different outlooks on life, she’s smart and sometimes silly, she laughs at my jokes and stunts, she is the reason for my jokes and stunts, reassuring, and confident and vulnerable at the same time.

Any road up, that’s all a bit too gay! Last night I made Turkey Burgers, here’s the conversation we had:  

K - “It doesn’t look like a turkey”, “that’s a bit weird isn’t it?”
I looked at her puzzled and said, “What?”.
K – “Well they call it a turkey burger but it doesn’t look like a turkey”
M – “Does a beef burger look like a cow?”
K – “Yeah, but why don’t they just call them a burger?”
M – “Might it be because there are different kinds of burger?” Still looking puzzled.
K – “Yeah but….”

And then the conversation ended.

I thought she must have forgotten about the times in her life when she had eaten Hot Dogs, Lion Bars, Birds Eye Fish Fingers (confusing on many levels!), Monkey Nuts and Penguins (the chocolate covered biscuit, not the flightless bird!)

And that’s another reason why I love her!








Comments

Popular Posts