Mick Channon and the Pomagne Wheel

Kerry poked herself in the eye this morning whilst cleaning her car. It does look a bit of a state but it may be much worse than she thinks it is. She has to lie on the settee and speaks with a strained voice, you know the type of voice you would have if you’ve just learnt all of your family have been killed and you’ve lost your legs? She says things like, “Can you pass me the biscuits please?”, “Can you make me a brew?” and all of her remedies have to be administered by me. I’m dreading her going to the toilet for a dump, mind you, it wouldn’t be the first time!

So Darwin, Pete and I went to the local church fete. I’m loving these summer fairs and stuff. There was a coconut shy! I don’t think I’ve seen one of them since I were a lad and I’m not surprised. Who the hell wants a coconut nowadays? And there was a “Get the Football in the Toilet” game. Darwin won both a coconut and a football. The coconut was given to him out of sympathy but the football was won legitimately, even though the 3 kids and 1 adult before him all failed!

I remember our school having a summer fete back in 1979-ish. Mick Channon was the guest of honour and to this day he remains the highest scorer for Southampton. At the time he played for Manchester City which was far more commendable. I remember meeting him and he was very impressed that I had with me a bottle of Pomagne. That was considered ‘quite fancy’ back then, I must have been 9! I remember that 3 of us kids had won Pomagne on the ‘Pomagne Wheel’ and I think it was legal back then for kids to take it if they won it! On the way back we drank a bottle between us and we all got a bit tipsy. Things have changed now haven’t they?

"Prize Coconut"

"The Coconut Shy"


Comments

Popular Posts