Fought Off Death with Positive Thinking and a Stiff Upper Lip

“I’ve lived a very privileged and lucky life, and if I were to die right now there is no reason why anyone should feel sad”. That was the opening line of my speech at the wedding, and I genuinely feel that way.

The day began with Pete and I making our way to the venue to do more setting up. We had been hoping for glorious sunshine for the wedding but we were gifted the opposite, hence Plan B was enacted and we were having to set up indoors. The night before hadn’t been kind to me and consequently I hadn’t had much sleep. That morning I had been rushing around so much I hadn’t eaten. My clothes and arm garters were quite tight, and the first chance I did get to eat I drank beer and champagne instead.

A couple of hours after the speech I collapsed, and I did think I was going to die.

But, if this was my time it did feel alright, and dare I say rather nice. And if there was nothing I could do about it well, what could I do? As I lay on the bed I thought about all the heart attacks and strokes that had happened in family members before me, the cancers and paralysis, and god knows what else. I looked up to the ceiling to see if there was a ‘light’ and quite thankfully, for 2 reasons, there wasn’t. Reason No.1 was, well maybe I wasn’t dying. Reason No.2 was if there was a light then maybe there was a God or something, and knowing what a nasty little b*stard he is, he’s going to be really angry with me, no matter which God it is. I’ve ridiculed them all.

Pete wanted to call an ambulance. Kerry was obviously very worried because she kept dismissing it saying, “Ooo, it’s only that you’ve fainted, you’ll be right as rain in a moment”, and she frantically began to tidy the room I was in occasionally nipping downstairs to see the guests.

I lay on the bed for about half an hour in a semi paralytic state constantly moving my fingers and toes. Eventually I stood up and I checked the mirror to see if half my face had dropped and I was drooling. I walked around and suggested to Pete that we go downstairs and get on with the rest of the day. If I wasn’t right we’d soon know about it.

Part of me thinks it was simply that I had fainted due to the goings on of the past 24 hours and having never fainted before it all felt quite remarkable. The other part of me thinks I was very close to death and due to positive thinking and a stiff upper lip I fought it off, AND death is for the weak!

The images below are the result of giving a camera to a child.





Comments

Popular Posts