Lyme Regis - Week 1

Once again we found ourselves in Lyme Regis. Part of me feels slightly guilty for going to the same place for a holiday all the time but we do love it and it’s convenient for where we are in our lives right now. I say “convenient”, it did take us 10 hours to get down there and virtually the same to get back. Next time I might listen to her indoors and set off in the evening or early in the morning, preferably the former!

As soon as we arrived we had a walk on the front. No matter what time of year we’ve been there it always feels warm in my memories. I was slightly concerned that because this was the first time we’ve ever been in peak season the amount of people would be intolerable. Writing post-holiday it wasn’t as bad as I thought.

One night we went for a walk on the shores of Branscombe. Whitebait was being washed up by the bucket load and Darwin was doing his best to save them all. A few days later we had a walk on Chesil Beach and watched many fishermen catch an uncountable amount of mackerel. That evening Pete and I went down to the beach at Burton Bradstock. The seas were fizzing with fish activity and right from the first cast we started catching mackerel. It was hard not to catch them. Between us we must have caught near to 100 fish between us, all within a couple of hours. The sunset was magnificent, I think Burton is one of my favourite places on the coast down there.

On several nights over the fortnight we had beach parties with family and friends. We lit fires, caught fish and ate them, and I had a toasted marshmallow for the first time. It was quite magical.

We had no agenda on this holiday, apart from the getting married bit, so it was all quite relaxed.




Midnight in Lyme

On the Beach in Lyme

In the Pub at Seatown


Burton Bradstock


Monmouth Beach

Comments

Popular Posts