The Working Farm and Piggy is 2

Piggy was 2 today.  Sometimes I look at him and I can just cry, I love him so much and he’s so lovely.

We met up with some of Kerry’s family at Thornton Hall Farm in Yorkshire, a working farm where folk can see farm animals and play on little tractors, have a go on a big slide and get lost in the hay maze.  We met rabbits, guinea pigs, alpacas, llamas, sheep, lambs, horses, pigs and chickens.

So why am I so against people using animals for entertainment purposes, and yet I don’t mind going to visit a “working farm”?  Well the whole eating meat issue is a different argument.  I’m aware that the human being is an omnivore and therefore I do not have to eat meat for my survival, so why am I such an evil bastard?  I love meat, in fact every animal I mentioned above I have eaten, including guinea pig and I got great pleasure from doing so, the guinea pig least so!  But I do think it extremely important that the animals I eat are treated well and that the agricultural practises involved are done right.  And if done correctly we as human beings can help the survival of species.  Someone once quoted that if Dodo’s tasted nice you can be damn certain that they would still be around today.  Apparently it tasted crap but it was easy to catch.

Thornton Hall is an impeccably clean farm, I’ve never seen a working farm so clean, and you certainly get the impression that all the animals are well looked after.  With the working practises of the farm being so visible they have to be.

Any road, (this is a photography blog, I think.  I need to keep reminding myself!) we all had a great time, most importantly Darwin did (and the animals!).  Darwin gave a lamb milk, fed a llama and stroked a horse.

A video is available on Youtube.



"Piggy & the Tractor"

"Piggy, Grandad & the Shire"

"The Tup and I"

"Piggy feeding a lamb"

Comments

Popular Posts