Bob Carlos Clarke & Nudey Ladies

I was chatting to a senior person in the RPS the other day who asked me did I know Bob Carlos Clarke. I smiled.

I’ve been tinkering with photography for nearly 30 years now and up until about 5 years ago the only photographers I had heard of were Lichfield, Bailey & Clarke. Lichfield & Bailey were probably the most famous photographers of the 80’s and I only knew them by name not by their images, but the work of Bob Carlos Clarke I knew very well.

During the eighties I had joined a photographic book club. You had to pay a monthly fee and pay that fee for a year, and in return you got sent a book of your choice every month. The first book I chose was “The Dark Summer” by Bob Carlos Clarke.  Sure, there was a mild attraction to the partly nudey ladies but his work was like nothing I had seen at the time. It was all film and darkroom stuff too, loads of burning and dodging, I believe he didn't like digital.  Yet I imagine many people would look at his images nowadays and automatically assume they had been manipulated digitally.

I’m still quite surprised his name doesn't crop up more nowadays. I think it’s because there is a big difference between photographic artists and photographers and Clarke seems to have made his camp in the photographer’s domain, I tend to mix more in the artists arena.

He committed suicide in 2006 by stepping in front of a train.

"Doggy Style"

"Lass in Sexy Undies Carrying Knifes"
"Dita Von Teese"

"Lass with Big Hair"
"Rachael Weisz"

Comments

Popular Posts