Dads and Boys Day

The idea of today was to give Kerry as much time to herself as possible to allow her to potter about in the garden, piss about with fossils and update Baby books.  I would entertain Darwin as much as I could and when he napped I would catch up with photo work.

As it happened Hawko was out with his boy Oscar today so he bobbed in and we went for a walk around the loop.  I was prepared to amaze Hawko and his son with my knowledge of Camelids.

We passed the quarantined friendly lamb and was told immediately not to touch it.  I spoke to the farm matriarch who was issuing the instructions and she told me it had "Orf".  "It was going off to be sorted now", she told me.  At the time I automatically thought it was going to the vets, but afterwards I wondered if it was being taken away to be killed.  I also wondered if a tiger could catch orf from a lamb if it was to ingest it?  And then I thought, "What if the tiger didn't eat the lamb and they became mates?".  And then I had one last concluding thought, "the tiger would be more likely to rape the lamb and then eat it than become its mate".

Mr Chuchy then started to protest, not because of my thoughts, I was keeping them silent, but I believe he was too hot.  By the time we got to the Camelids Darwin was still upset.  My lecture on Camelids had to be put on hold.  My lesson had been semi-planned, "So which animals do you think fall into the Camelid family?", "of course Camels you dick, but what else?", "Yes, Llamas, they're the ones there, roughly twice the size of the others which are...?", "Yes that's right, Alpacas.  One of the healthiest meats you can eat".  "However not seen here today are Guanacos and Vicunas".  "Vicuna hair is one of the most expensive animal fabrics on earth. A scarf made entirely of Vicuna hair will retail at approximately $1500".

Any road, by the time we got back Darwin was asleep and as soon as he saw his mother he knew everything was alright.

(How do you know so much about Camelids? I hear you ask in a silly Monty Python accent.  It's big on the agenda if you ever buy a package tour holiday around Peru, and once I did!)


"Hawko & Oscar"

"Darwin Catching Rays"

"Darwin safe in the arms of his Mother"

Comments

Popular Posts