A Larry David Moment

We went to Burnley hospital today.  As we were about 50m from the turning into the car park I found myself behind a car, and a mechanical lawn mower in front of that.  "No bother", I thought, the delay would be about 10 seconds and considering Kerry always makes us turn up at least an hour early for appointments, this wasn't going to be an issue.  The driver of the car in front wasn't thinking like me, this was a big issue to her and she wasn't wasting precious seconds being sat behind a lawn mower.  She overtook the lawn mower and turned sharply left into the car park narrowly missing colliding with it in a move the Sweeney would have been proud of.

10 seconds later I was once again sat behind her in the car park.  As always, like in any hospital, the car park was full.  After a short wait the owner of the car to the right of me returned to their vehicle, there was going to be a free parking space!  Let me set the scene.  The car in front had gone past the soon to be parking space.  Yes, gone past, and that's the rules, if you go past a spot you forfeit the right to it.  However, the car in front put her car into reverse and tried to make a claim to it.  This prevented the car from exiting.  There was a short stand off and then the car in front realised she had put herself into Checkmate, she had to move forward in order to let the car out.  The car exited the space and I then occupied it.

When I got out of the car the woman had reversed and wound her window down, "Could you not fuckin see I had my reverse lights on?"

I wasn't in the mood.  I was apprehensive about the hospital and so was Kerry.  The relationship between the unknown driver and myself hadn't started well.  Several minutes earlier I had called her "knobhead" without ever being introduced as she carelessly nearly knocked a man off his lawn mower.

"Yes I could, but quite frankly I've just witnessed you driving like a twat when you nearly crashed into a lawn mower, and I don't care".

"That's my fuckin spot", she said coarsely holding a cigarette that needed the ash flicking off it about half an hour ago.

"It's not any more", I said, and then advised her to find a different spot in language that she would understand.

As we made our way into the hospital she drove past and shouted out of the window, "Ignorant Bastard!"

There must be at least a hundred or so different departments in the hospital.  We were looking for the "Xray Department".  After not too much searching we eventually found the department and was told to sit in the empty waiting room.  I sat down still a little wound up by the incident beforehand.  5 minutes later I discovered which department the swearing lady was going to, the "Xray Department".

She sat quietly with her elderly mother.  I was aware that she would probably leave the department before we did as we had come an hour early, and she knew where I was parked.  Was I going to return to my car to find "Ignorant Bastard" scratched into the side off it?  I took a picture of her just in case.

Minutes later a nurse appeared and said to them, "we've been trying to get in contact with you all week, we've had to cancel your appointment".

"I win again", I thought.

"Swearing Woman in Blue"

Comments

Popular Posts