Cambridge and Ely

This weekend I travelled down to Cambridge.  I was posted there with the Armed Forces from 1988-91 and I fell in love with the place.  But even though I was there for 3 years I didn't take time to explore the place.  This time I wanted to take a trip round one of the big colleges and more so, take a punt down the River Cam.

I visited St Johns college, home of the Bridge of Sighs, and very nice it was too.  There are 4 Bridges of Sighs in the world, Cambridge, Oxford, Venice and Las Vegas!  I think I'd hate to go to Las Vegas!

The River Cam was still very busy for Autumn and there were plenty of people trying to navigate the river themselves, in fact I imagine they are still there now and will be for the remainder of the year.  I took a boat propelled by a professional punter, and through no fault of his own we crashed into at least 4 other boats.

I even saw a man wearing a bowler hat in Cambridge, now there's a rare sight!

In the afternoon I whizzed over to Ely.  The cathedral is quite spectacular, especially for such a small town.  The cathedral is that big it even has rough areas!  And in one of the rough areas there is a public toilets with the following written on the wall, "I can easily fit your fist up my arse, call ###".  Why????

"The Roof of Ely Cathedral (one of the nice areas)"

"Keep Calm and Carry On"

"I am not a Seagull"

Comments

  1. Has to be said, there are some weird people visiting the toilets in Ely Cathedral!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts