Tour of Britain - King of the Mountains

I live on the route of the Tour of Britain cycle race, the King of the Mountains section.  I laughed when I heard that, King of the Mountains, Jesus Christ!  I would have thought they would have done a route in Scotland or Snowdonia, or the Lake District at the very least, probably not mountainous enough, "lets get them to climb up by Deerplay Reservoir in Rossendale" the organisers said.

I was expecting about 10 to 20 chaps on 5 speed racers to pass by however it's a proper event.  The forward party consisted of about 150 motorcycles carrying real policemen and wannabe policemen.  Then there were helicopters and then 96 real cyclists and about 30 cars carrying spare bikes.  I was quite impressed.  I learnt what a peloton is!

The chap with the arrow above his head is Andre Greipel, he won the race which ended in Blackpool.

"Tour of Britain going past Marys Corner shop"
"Excited Spectators in Whitewell Bottom"

Comments

Popular Posts