1 Troop, 86 Squadron, Royal Engineers

When I first started "diddling" on Facebook there weren't any people from my old army days on there.  I don't go on it much but the other night I came across a good Army friend of mine and he had uploaded a few photographs from the olden days.  Coincidentally it was 24 years ago to the day that we all joined.

I spent everyday during my 5 years in the army looking forward to leaving and I still have moments of elation thankful about not being in the army, however I know it didn't do me any harm and when I think back I mainly only remember the good times.  We thought we were men at the time, we were being trained to shoot weapons and kill but we weren't old enough to legally buy beer, we were boys.

During my first 2 years I did have my own darkroom with access to all the film, paper and chemicals I wanted.  I had to virtually teach myself everything about photography and I liked it that way.  During those first 2 years I made a point of taking portraits of everyone in my Troop, it was my first venture into any form of portrait collection.  I scanned all the images to upload on to Facebook.

"John Reed"
"Martyn Davies"

"Alex Mackay"

Comments

Popular Posts