Friggers in Whitby

02.08.10

Once again I find myself in Yorkshire, I'm getting quite fond of the place. Today we went to Scarborough. On the 29th May 1985 I first went to Scarborough, I remember because the Heysel Stadium disaster happened. I stopped in Garibaldi Street last time and a girl about the same age stopped across the road from where we were staying, I remember watching her get undressed one night. Does that sound pervy? I was only 14!

Any road, I booked what I thought was a hotel this time but it turned out to be a B&B. I find B&B's a bit weird but I didn't mind this one, it was called Jadellas. Took a walk down the south side of the town, it's very "Blackpooly", donkeys on the beach and everything, and then we walked round to the north side. Kerry and I spent an hour or 2 on the beach mooching through rock pools, we could have stayed there much longer I'm sure.


"Scarborough Art"

The following day we drove down to Robin Hoods Bay. What a lovely little place. I did go there with my parents back in 85 but my stepmother is a large lady and didn't relish the thought of walking down to the town. Instead we sat in the Vauxhall Viva and had lemonade. This time Kerry was busying herself looking for ammonites in the corroding cliffs, she found half of one! I noticed that there were loads of kids shoes on the beach.

"Robin Hoods Bay"

And then we drove to Whitby. A frigger is more commonly used as a pseudo-profanity nowadays but I believe it was "an object crafted for the amusement of craftsmen" at one stage. Some shops were displaying posters of the Chuckle Brothers, I thought there should have been one in this shop.
"Friggers in Whitby"

Comments

Popular Posts