Bassenthwaite and Mirehouse

On one of the days in the holiday we visited Bassenthwaite and had a mooch around Mirehouse again. The daffodils have virtually disappeared now and all the good stuff is coming up. The weather was warm and the sun shone and everything looked pretty. I even had to go back to the car to drop coats off and buy some drinks for the anticipated thirsts to come.

We walked slowly round the gardens and made our way to the small chapel of St Bega by the shores of Bassenthwaite. I like churches for some reason but I thinks it’s mainly down to the quality and effort put into the building. This particular church has been there over a thousand years for instance. I very much doubt that the church I was forced to go to as a child, Leyland St. Marys, will be there in another 100 years, never mind a thousand. Saying that, there is usually always something that winds me up in the church. God and Jesus manage to wind me up as it is but those little books at the entrance of the church inviting people to write something in them, what the hell are they all about? Does anyone read them? What possesses people to write such b*llocks in them? “Such a lovely peaceful church and a great place to pray”…. AND????? I’m always tempted to write something but I feel I don’t have the right. Maybe I should get some business cards printed and leave them by the book.



Any road, what’s there to be angry about? We’re well and truly into Spring and everything is lovely.





Comments

Popular Posts