Pinky Promises and a Birthday

Darwin is 6. Time is going mentally fast init? I love the age he is and I’m already dreading the future where he’s totally independent and doesn’t want anything to do with his parents. I take him to bed most nights and read him a story. We’re reading Danny Champion of the World again. Last time it was the play, which was a bit rubbish in comparison, this time I think he understands the relationship between Danny and his dad, and that’s lovely. The other day he asked me if we could go and shoot a pheasant one night!

The other night Darwin was being particularly naughty. I didn’t dare be naughty as a child because I would be hit with the slipper and then sent to my room, with Darwin I use the naughty step. Kerry chooses the bedroom confinement method but to be honest I quite liked that as a child. I got used to it and then grew to like it. It got me away from my Step Mother and I liked my own company. Eventually I would much rather spend time in my bedroom than share time with my family. The other night though, and at bedtime too, Kerry took over the discipline and told Darwin that he could go to bed by himself. He lasted 5 minutes then sheepishly came downstairs in tears begging for me to come and read him a story, his little finger thrust out offering a ‘Pinky Promise’ to not be naughty again. Even though we denied his requests at first the tears got more plentiful and he appeared broken. My heart was broken too.

On his Birthday Kerry and the mother of his best friends, Leo and Arran (whose birthday it was also), arranged a magnificent joint party at the village hall. Nanny Bev and Carlo came down and prepared a beautiful buffet which was most kind. A massive indoor bouncy castle was erected, there was pushcart racing and face painting and Darwin decided to paint Arrans face, and his own!

 
 
 
Arran, Darwin & Leo
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts