Preparing the Field

In a week or so we're having a number of trees delivered, firstly to plant a hedgerow and then next spring we’ll start planting the wood. This will convert our field which has predominantly been used for grazing into a wood, which is good for the environment and hopefully will give us sustainable fuel for heat in the future. Maybe we’ll call it Darwin Wood?

However, prior to planting we had to secure the boundaries against the very hungry sheep and heavy footed horses. This meant installing 110m of sheep wire fencing, repairing current fences and securing walls. I’m writing this about 5 weeks after the event and I’m still feeling the pain in an elbow, hand and a shoulder. I’m getting very old. That aside, I do enjoy the whole working outside malarkey, there’s something spiritual about it all.

Darwin got involved for a bit. He does look like my dad when’s he’s concentrating.




Comments

Popular Posts