The Haunted School


During my trip to Leyland I also took a trip to my old primary school. It was Leyland St. Marys Primary school when I was there. The original school was called Balshaws Grammar school and was built 1784. Nowadays it isn’t a school at all, instead it’s split into a variety of premises for different businesses.

Mr Dunn was the headmaster at the time I was there and we were often threatened with the ‘Black Medicine’, a 14” long leather strap. Mr Mark had one too, he called it ‘the Mamba’. He didn’t really, I don’t Mr. Marks had a name but that would be more frightening wouldn’t it? I did once get Mr. Marks strap for doing a Shakin Stevens impression. That aside I only remember the whole school experience being a happy one.

We used to run to the school perimeter when the trucks went by and signal to them to blow their air horns if they had them. The Lyons Tetley truck was our favourite with 2 large shiny horns at the top of his cab. We used to build marble courses in our lift up desks c/w unused inkwells. Joining arms with the other lads during playtime and cruising round the playground repeatedly shouting, “Who wants to play at army? No girls allowed!”. Kicking Paul Smith in the balls and lifting him off the floor for throwing a brick onto my Jesus Sandal clad feet, Jade drawing a human figure in chalk on the floor after a contractor fell off his ladder and broke his leg, the football competitions and my fantastic cross field pass to Barton. I remember many things, but now it’s not a school.

I parked on what was the old lower playground and walked around the combined sports/assembly and dinner hall. After I had taken a few snaps 2 women appeared and asked “Can I help you?”. I explained that I was a photographer and used to go to school here 40 years ago (that made me feel old!). Hearing that, the owner of the occupying business said, “Would you like to come in?” How exciting.

On entering the building my senses were preparing themselves. I was expecting a slightly dusty school smell. I think I got it but that might have been psychological. There were some visual signs to the past, the old beams for instance and the doors. But as soon as I entered the lady said, “I have to warn you, it is haunted”. I stopped myself from laughing and asked why she thought that.

“We hear footsteps all the time. And when we’re on the toilet doors open and close when there’s no-one there. And you see/feel presences in the corner of your eye. I got a medium to come in one Saturday night and he was here from 21:00hrs to 03:00hrs in the morning. We saw tables levitating and furniture being thrown about the room”. I was tempted to say “No you didn’t” but I listened instead. “The medium says we have 3 ghosts. A Mr Jackson who thinks the building belongs to him, and 2 girls called Emily & Cathy. Sometime we get visited by a raven who taps on the window because spirits can appear in the form of animals too”.

I did a search on Google for “Headmaster” + “Balshaws Grammar School” + “Leyland”. By far the most famous Headmaster throughout its long history was a ‘Mr Jackson’ Google told me.

"The Old School Hall"

"Mr Jackson in the Centre of the Photo"




Comments

Popular Posts