The Exploding Cooker

We got a new cooker at the weekend. The one that had been in the house since we moved in was pretty rubbish from the start. The variable heat didn’t exist, it was either on or off, pretty much like cooking over a raging fire. Funny how we had gotten used to it though.

We don’t have gas at the house so we had to buy an electric one. This is good when it comes to fitting it though as I could do it myself having successfully completed my electrical apprenticeship in 1988!

It was a lovely winter’s day on Sunday so an hour before sunset, and after I had fitted the new cooker, I told Kerry that I’d be walking up the fell at the back of our house to take some photos of the winter landscape. The sun was low in the sky, mist was forming on the grounds and the shadows were long, it was lovely. Suddenly my phone rang, “There was a popping noise and now there’s smoke coming from the cooker” Kerry said.

I rushed down the fell and sped into the kitchen expecting to see Kerry with a blackened face and smelling the remnants of a 32amp electrical mess. Instead she said, “I decided to try it again and it seems alright now. It’s still smoking though”. The smoke was steam.

I went into the field to catch the last 5 minutes of sunset and then we ate a splendid dinner.



Comments

Popular Posts