Brian Blessed

My wife and I are big fans of Brian Blessed so imagine my delight when I heard that he was giving a chat in Darwen, I bought tickets immediately. He’s such an eloquent fellow yet such a giant, a Canis Majoris one might say.

We turned up an hour and a half early and as I hadn’t had dinner we toured the streets of Darwen and I bought a pizza. Now that we’ve been ‘Cumbrianised’ all this ‘urbanous’ doesn’t sit right with us so we ate it in the car outside the theatre. Kerry didn’t get a pizza so she sent me for a walk to the local Asda to get her something. Whilst we were walking past people I had overheard snippets of 3 conversations, “So I slapped her right across the face” was one, “I’m gonna f*ckin knock him out” was another and my favourite “I heard he called your mum a mong”. Needless to say hostility levels were sky high above what I was used to.

Now then, Kerry doesn’t like being the centre of attention, particularly where loud noises are concerned. As I got out of the car I instinctively locked it whilst she was inside. As I neared Asda I could hear the sound of a car alarm which quite frankly suited the area I was in. Actually it seemed a little odd that there weren’t 5 or so car alarms going off at any given time. My phone rang and a very angry Kerry spoke. Instantly I began laughing, imagining her sat in the now screaming car whilst an increasing amount of people were turning up to the gig. I was so close to Asda that I was actually thinking about nipping in first to get the goods before coming back, and that made me laugh even more. I delayed going into Asda though and ran back to switch the alarm off.

Brian was spectacular, a true genius. He is knocking on a bit now though but this just makes him sweet too. Kerry and I met him afterwards, we were in awe.





Comments

Popular Posts