Sedbergh Spring Show Photography Cup Winner ("joint winner" someone says subversively!)

It was Sedbergh Spring Show this month. I briefly blogged about it last year, Vicar of Dibley stuff and Victoria Sponges etc. but what I failed to mention last year is that there’s a photography competition.

I was eager to try my luck and felt mildly confident about doing well. There were 8 categories, Local Landscape, Other Landscape, Pets, Wildlife, Sky, Sports, Portrait and Other. I entered all 8 categories. If you won the category you stood to win a cash prize of £1. 50p for second and 25p for third. But I wasn’t in it for the big cash prizes, whoever won the most categories won the ‘Photography Cup’, and that was my aim.

I was getting far too excited about it, I’m aware of this, but I can be competitive at times. And plus, the whole 'what makes a better photograph' thing is quite subjective isn’t it? And who’ll be judging? It probably wasn’t going to be Martin Parr or Don McCullin. I was getting wound up and had to calm myself down.

On the day Darwin and I went to the show to see what the judges had decreed. Sky 1st, Pets 1st, Sports 1st, Wildlife 2nd, Other Landscape 2nd. In my head I gave 3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd & 1 for 3rd and totalled my score to be 13. Another photographer, Chris Wood, had scored the same and when they announced the results Chris and I were joint winners.

Darwin was on my shoulders when we collected the cup and he grabbed it and began celebrating himself. Chris let us keep the cup. I had a little chat to him afterwards, what a lovely chap.




Comments

Popular Posts