Piggy Blinders

Darwin and I went to Appleby carnival at the weekend. This is very much different to the Horse Fair, although I was quite surprised by the amount of Irish Gypsy accents there were on carnival day, do many of them live there permanently? However, anticipating that we were going to meet some Gypsy types I dressed Darwin up like a Peaky Blinder and he returned the favour by acting like one occasionally.

We stood by the road and watched the carnival go by. Big fire engines, kids on trucks, people squirting water, vintage cars and people handing out union jacks. Then we went on a few fairground rides and bought a candy floss.

One thing of note from living in Cumbria, it isn’t quite as ethnically diverse as I’m used to. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, I’m just observing. Ethnic diversity doesn’t bother me in the slightest, I simply want everyone to be nice, and if everyone is nice I don’t care what ethnicity you are. But surrounded by Union Jacks without a foreigner in sight did make me feel a little guilty.

As a footnote, Westmorland was one of the few Northern areas that voted to remain in the EU. I’m not saying that Brexiteers are racist or owt, but you know!







Comments

Popular Posts