Piggy Pox

One of the non-material goods that Darwin got for his birthday was Chicken Pox. The internet can be a great thing and a very worrying thing too can’t it? Within 10 minutes possible diagnoses ranged from Impetigo to Scarlet Fever and from Meningitis to AIDS. Fortunately it was also corroborated by a GP that the diagnosis was Chicken Pox, and although you can’t always rely on it, a doctor’s opinion does give mild relief.

The only time I went to the doctors between the ages of 20 & 40 was for a knee injury I sustained during a football match. I twisted my knee and it swelled up massively hindering my ability to walk. I couldn’t understand the doctor too well but he said I could have an operation on it if I wanted because I was still a young man but I wouldn’t be able to play football for about 18 months. I didn’t like the thought of having an operation and I didn’t want to be out of the football team for over a year, so instead he prescribed me some tablets and some medicine. I presume the tablets were for anti-inflammatory reasons and the medicine was for the pain.

I don’t drink medicine from a spoon, I simply take a ‘gleg’ from the bottle (just looked up the word ‘gleg’ and it is a real word meaning to give a quick glance. I don’t mean it like that, I mean ‘to take a mouthful from a bottle’) and if it tastes nice I might have some more. So I took a gleg of this medicine at 10 in the morning and woke up 10 hours later feeling like someone had removed all the bones in my body. I only awoke for ½ an hour and went straight back to bed.

I checked the contents of the medicine the next day when I was compus mentis and found it had a high content of morphine. I put the medicine in the cupboard and thought I would never need it again.

Several months later I caught Chicken Pox for the first time in my life, I was 28. I walked to the chemist to get him to confirm it and he suggested I take some calamine cream and get as much rest as I can. “I know something that will help me rest” I thought, and went home to retrieve the medicine. It was Saturday morning and I took a massive gleg of the medicine. I awoke briefly for an hour at 8pm on Sunday night, went straight back to bed and then woke again on Monday afternoon. I think it was the best sleep I have ever had and I didn’t get bothered by the itchiness once.



Comments

Popular Posts